Thursday, November 19, 2009

How Dope Are Your Lips?

Now my lips are dope, but apparently Teyana Taylor thinks she can add some umph. Recently she had an interview with New York radio personality Egypt in which she briefly discussed coming out with 'Dope Lips', a line of lip glosses. (EAT YOUR HEART OUT LIL' MAMA!)

Dope Lips by Teyana Taylor


'1 Kiss and He'll B Hooked'


All pictures are from dopelips.com.

There's nothing spectacular about this venture, but I'm definitely not knocking her hustle. Hopefully she develops interesting marketing strategies and campaigns. A collaboration with Pastry Shoes would be excellent; she could kill two birds with one stone by targeting mothers and daughters. Salute the Nude would be a great color for young girls/ladies. I can't help but wonder about the consistency of the gloss, not too thick and sticky, but not too thin either so that it feels as if it's worn off after 15-20 minutes. Time will tell.

And honestly, why didn't Lil' Mama do this first? SMH. Who knows, maybe she can do a gloss line for Roc-a-Wear, and A. Keys can do the ads...HA.

MY DOPE LIPS: I'm hands down a MAC girl, and I don't wear much else except for the Chanel glosses that  I "borrow" from my mother. I love pink colors and red lipstick. I'm even rocking a purplish color at the moment. What's in my purse at the moment:

Purplish colors: Fierce & Fabulous (gloss), Up the Amp, Most Popular
Reds: Venetian (gloss), Russian Red (gloss), Brave Red
Pinks: Lickable, Big Bow, Nice Kitty (gloss)

All MAC of course! I think these colors would work for most people, unfortunately some of them are no longer available (namely Fierce & Fabulous, Big Bow, and Nice Kitty) because they were not apart of the regular MAC collection. I would have provided pictures of the colors but they only show up on the MAC website. So this link will have to do: MAC Lipsticks and MAC Glosses.

And I just realized that I'm carrying nine glosses/lipsticks in my purse.

As far as all time favs it would have to be Beauty Rush by Victoria's Secret. I put it on before bed and wake up with GORGEOUS lips! Then there's CO Bigelow Mentha Lip Tint, and anything by Burt's Beeswax. CO Bigelow can be purchased in Bath & Body Works ( who has like a shrine to the line) and Burt's Beeswax can be purchased from any drugstore (CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's, etc.).

One last thing. Ladies when wearing lipstick/gloss please keep in mind:

  1. No chapped lips. This should go without saying.
  2. Use lip exfoliator. Your boyfriend or husband will thank you. You might even thank yourself. Try these from Sephora.
  3. Moisturize before applying lipstick. Put on a THIN layer of chapstick about 10-15 before applying the first coat of lipstick, especially if it's matte.
  4. Make sure that the lipstick compliments your skin tone. If it "kind of does but not really" then try playing with the color by adding a lipgloss over it, using a slight variation of the color of the lipstick might help.
  5. Don't entirely trust the people at the counter. I know I'm not the only who's seen the woman behind the cosmetics counter looking frightful.
  6. If you're unsure of trying a new shade, take a picture and send it to a friend.

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVS? WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

4 comments:

  1. Love this!! Im not really a lipstick girl per se, I used to be bk in high school, but I guess I just let it go, jumped ship and went to lipgloss. Wondering why Lil Mama and start this first since she had the song and all, but I gotta respect Teyana's hustle cuz she just started off as a little girl throwing a 16th bday bash so I aint mad.

    Its definitely important for it to be the right texture tho. Thick and sticky=cheap, so she should watch for that.I personally like any of the lip butters from the Body shop, raspberry cuz of the smell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dope post! Why didn't lil mama is a good question?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever meet Lil Mama I will ask her why, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First let me say that I am in no way hating on Ms. Taylor, BUT I for one am tired of celebs trying to capitalize on things that don't need revamping. "Dope Lips"? I would really like for her to please tell me what makes this gloss so "dope"? Thanks.

    I am perfectly content with the glosses I have courtesy of Maybelline and MAC.

    And if I had to give advice to anyone about gloss I would say STAY AWAY from the sticky stuff! Real gloss should absolutely NOT make your lips stick together for a whole five seconds (and no guy wants to feel sticky goo on their lips that tastes like rubber).

    =)
    A.Marie

    ReplyDelete