Tuesday, November 10, 2009

DO YOU REMEMBER THE TIME???


The Fall of 2002, one of the most unforgettable moments of my life. Not only was it the beginning of my final year in high school, but it was also the period in time when two men would make the DMV stand still for what seemed like eternity. About a year after 9/11 when we were still grieving over the lives that were taken at the Pentagon and the World Trade Center, the DC snipers once again left us on the edge of our seats. Football games were cancelled, homecoming dances were postponed, and my friends and I fled everytime we saw a white van. Tonight John Allan Muhammad will be executed for the crimes he and Lee Boyd Malvo committed that fateful fall. Although Muhammad's life will be taken away, the memories of the DC sniper rampage will never die.
What do you remember about the DC sniper saga? In what ways did this event alter your life or way of thinking? Can crimes like these ever be prevented?

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I remember people were walking or running zigzag everywhere they went. One time at school, my friend was like how her dad went off surveying the school grounds to make sure everything was alright and I was thinking "your father is an idiot and he'll get his ass shot." Like what was he going to do make a citizen's arrest? Of course now I better understand his mentality and wanting to protect his daughter and her school environment.

    I remember how everyone thought the sniper was white until they heard about the kind of car he was driving, I think it was a cadillac at one point. We were all SOOOO disappointed because then we knew that he was black. A girl in my senior class was convinced the whole time that he was black because my friends and I were so covinced that he wasn't. SMH.

    Ironically, for a period of time Muhammed stayed in the same neighborhood as a friend of mine. Craziness.

    ReplyDelete