Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Can We Talk: Nigerian Independence Day

A friend of mine recently wrote a note on Facebook about whether or not Nigerian Independence Day should be celebrated. Those who are familiar with Nigeria know of the country's long history of corrupt leaders and the image of "419" (google it lol) that is too often associated with our beloved country, but from my point of view that is no reason not to celebrate how far we've come.

I have to be honest with you, I know little to nothing about Nigerian politics. I remember as a child hearing stories about Babangida, armed robbers, and witchcraft. Hearing these stories made me think there was no way in the world I would ever step foot in the place where my roots were firmly planted. Thankfully, my parents refused to pay attention to my childhood angst and, as often as they could, they took my sisters and I on trips to our home country. With each trip my love for Nigeria and my fellow Nigerians grew.

Then came September 29, 2007, the day I first celebrated Nigerian Independence Day and was first introduced to Nigerian nightlife in the U.S. I had the time of my life that night! I was surrounded by beautiful people who were, for the most part, all Nigerian, and all night I danced to the most unforgettable music by Nigerian artists such as P Square, 2Face and D'Banj. After that night I realized I didn't have to go to another continent, or wait to attend a family function to be reminded of how proud I am to be Nigerian. I could now YouTube the artists whose music I heard playing at the party anytime I wanted and be reminded. I could now converse with the new friends I'd met and be reminded. I could always go back to pictures from that night, and similar nights to come, and be reminded. So in saying that, I encourage my fellow Nigerians to forever celebrate the day of our country's independence. If not for Nigeria itself, do it for its people...your people.


Me, Alexis, and B celebrating Nigerian Independence Day @ LOVE in DC on 10/2/09.

Photo courtesy of http://www.amebor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment