Monday, October 5, 2009

Hate It / Love It: Destroyed Tees

The destroyed movement of 2009 has taken a new article of clothing hostage: T-shirts. Cutting the necks off and cropping shirts to rock them Flashdance style still has its appeal, but now a more edgy, grungy, and dare-to-be-different look is surfacing.




It's evident that this trend is either going to be hated or loved. Elements of the destroyed t-shirt include holes, slashes, and slits made on the shirt without rhyme or reason, and a loose fit.

It was love at first sight when I purchased the below shirt from H&M circa May/June. Think pink tank was used to show the location and size of the holes. It looks MUCH better in person and on the body. I debuted it with a neon yellow/lime thin strap cami underneath, medium tone grey skinny jeans, and electric blue pumps/booties. The outfit definitely turned heads.




There are much cleaner versions of the destroyed t-shirt, more appropriately referred to as slashed tops and not destroyed. Slashes/slits are cleanly-cut and patternized.



THE BOTTOM LINE

The Good: Edgy, dare-to-be different

The Bad: Every single aspect of the outfit must be on point. You either dress it completely down or glam it completely up, there is no inbetween.

The Ugly: Reminiscent of a homeless person.

WEAR WITH CAUTION! The destroyed t-shirt trend is for the fashion savvy. Beginners need not apply, this is risky business.

WHAT'S YOUR VERDICT?

Have you rocked this look? Contact us and if we love it, we'll post it!

Purchase Information - Picture 1. www.urbanoutfitters.com / Evil Genius Destroyed Tee / black, red, white / Orig. $38 Sale $19.99 ~ Picture 3. www.forever21.com / Metallic Slash Peep Top / $19.80

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely positively NOT.

    How dare someone make a garment practically destroy and then attempt to sell it to me for more then a dollar.

    IDK, call me old fashioned but I refuse to pay for something that I can destroy for free in my room.

    I personally don't think the destroyed look is cute, fashionable, sexy, all of the above. It makes you come off like you either A. don't care about the way you look B. really want to be homeless or C. following a trend that needs not to be followed.

    That's just what I think. I believe in wear all of the fabric that I purchase and not just bits and pieces of it.

    <3 A. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love the look. Perhaps I should destroy my own tees as opposed to buying one from the store, but I feel like I wouldn't destroy it correctly, if that makes any sense.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete