Friday, February 26, 2010

Thank God for Essence

For those of you who were upset after reading Posh's post on Vanity Fair's March 2010 cover, you'll be happy to know that Essence Magazine has an article on Black Women In Hollywood in their March 2010 issue, which is on newsstands now! In the issue, they feature Zoe Saldana as a "Star to Watch" and Gaby Sidibe as "Best Breakthrough Performance". I think both titles are extremely fitting for these two bright, young stars. If you are interested in reading more about the women they spotlight, go out and purchase this issue of Essence. Essence Magazine is always filled with interesting articles that cater specifically to black women; we should support those who support us.

Also, read Gaby and Zoe's comments regarding the Vanity Fair controversy and let us know what you think:

Gaby: “Was I satisfied? Yeah, well… I mean, I come from a world where I’m not on covers and I’m not in magazines at all. And so I was happy to be in the magazine. At first I thought, ‘Hmm, should I be there? Then I very quickly got over it. I think if I were a part of that shoot I would have felt a little left out anyway. I would have felt a little like… whether or not I should have been there. [It] doesn’t matter, because I wasn’t on it and I’m excited to be mentioned anywhere, and it doesn’t matter to me where I’m not mentioned.”

Zoe: "I feel like we can spend a lot of time bashing our beautiful country, but we don’t give it enough credit…"

"[The media] might be a little slow and it might not be on par to how we, as American civilians, would like it to be, but it is still an amazing country. So, when I look at magazines like Vanity Fair and Vogue, I know that it's just a matter of time, the same way Obama took his time and he got to office and became President… it's just a matter of time until magazines, the media, our art, our culture, our colloquial lifestyle, tags along to our today reality."

"I was taught by my mother, who was an immigrant, to be very grateful to this country. It is no different than when you have a dysfunctional family – it can be very dysfunctional –but it is still your family… and America is still ours. I think we can waste a lot time throwing it down the drain and not knowing the amazing things about this country."

No comments:

Post a Comment